Growing up in apple country, we’d go out apple picking every fall and come home with a bushel or two. We made pies and cobblers and ate apples til we were sick of them.
Feeling nostalgic for apples this time of year (even though we can get apples year round now) made me think of new ways to use them.
- Potato Salad – add some more crunch to your usual recipe by adding a cubed apple or two. This is great in my house where we are not big fans of celery.
- Waldorf Salad – not a nthis “fancy” salad is actually really simple to make: mix cubed apples, walnut halves, chopped chives and whatever else sounds good, with enough mayonnaise to coat. Try adding celery (traditional), cucumbers or black olives. Or some cubed chicken breast to include protein.
- Grilled Apples – unusual, but there are SO many ways to grill apples, and they add a terrific, low-calorie side dish for pork, turkey (I’m looking ahead to Thanksgiving) or an elegant dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Slice thick rounds of apple, grill one side, flip & coat the grilled side with any of the following combinations of spices rubbed in:
- balsamic vinegar / honey glaze
- mustard and sage
- cinnamon and chili
- garlic, lemon pepper butter
- almost any bottled or home-made salad dressing
Be careful to grill lightly – to maintain some crunch.
Happy apple season!